kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

good for you...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by mikecoscia on May 07, 2003 at 19:50:34:

In Reply to: good for you... posted by azteclizard on May 07, 2003 at 18:06:46:

Well I meant the FDA keeping check on livestock conditions, not the actual supplements. Which would ensure the animals aren’t full of toxins when they are sold to us to throw on the bbq and eat (in addition to when their other parts are used). Of course things can slip through, but that can happen anywhere. As far as I know there is little to no regulation for the reptile trade at least not up to par with humans (correct me if I am wrong). So there is no way to positively tell if anything is absolutely safe. You just have to rely on the manufacturer and people who have used the product. I have used bone meal and cuttle bone with my reptiles with great results. I have also used cuttle bone with my birds as every bird owner out there most likely does and has done for a very long time. They are good sources of calcium. Of course reptile supplements will work great to. You just have to watch out for brands that are too high in D3 and what not. They both work great, one is just cheaper and a little easier to use.
-Mike

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]