kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

ok....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by mikecoscia on May 08, 2003 at 12:45:42:

In Reply to: ever hear of SDZ turket diet?........... posted by azteclizard on May 08, 2003 at 10:53:21:

Well you can easily run to your local GNC or Drug store to pick up large amounts of Bone meal. So it is more convenient not to mention cheaper. Herpnutrition.com sells 50g for $7.50. You can get 500g of bone meal for that price if you look around. Both work equally well as a calcium source. Herptivite and Re-cal will work just as well as Bone meal and Centrum tablets with the SDZ diet. However I would not leave Herptivite and Miner-All in a dish. Leave that for your weekly dusting otherwise you can over dose because those products contain a lot more then just calcium. I am just supplying an extra calcium source in the form of bone meal, CaCO3, cuttle bone, etc. Like I said before this is just for egg laying females in case they “feel” the need for it. Otherwise don’t bother leaving a dish of it out.

Anyway the whole point is that they all work great. Bone meal is just cheaper and more readily available, which is why I have always used and suggested it. You have to replace the stuff often when you use it during the laying season cause they are always jumping, spilling or pooping in it…lol. So Re-cal and CaCO3 would cost an arm and a leg. I have used both with good results; it really is your preference. I just lean slightly toward the animal sources, what better way to get calcium then eating something else’s stored supply of it…bones =).
-Mike

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]