kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

another story

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by rtdunham on March 17, 2003 at 08:06:04:

In Reply to: Re: I usually dont mind hybrids, but... posted by Nokturnel Tom on March 16, 2003 at 21:08:39:

:At the daytona show a year or two ago i was excited to see a yearling "het/albino pyro" for sale, though the price was ridiculously low. I asked the seller about it and he immediately volunteered that it was a hybrid with ruthveni. I explained I had invested thousands in the real thing, and that people might see his snake and his label and his price and assume that was the market price for the true animal. He understood and said he'd change the label. I went back in an hour and he had changed it. Not everyone's so honest, and there's no question hybrids will have / are having a negative impact on pure color morphs. I think the saddest thing has not to do with cash but with the excitement of something new and rare--that anerythristic sinaloan probably WILL show up someday, but it may never be treasured as it should, because of the uncertainty over its lineage. The same is true for the albino gray band, which I suspect WILL show up someday, since so many gray bands are bred.

But yeah, the hybrids are often beautiful. I owned an albino jungle corn once, before i realized its presence in my collection made people wonder whether my ruthveni and hondurensis and nelsoni morphs were pure (they were). so the hybrids went. For me personally, while the hybrids are beautiful, I find it sorta like the beauty of a woman who's had breast implants or a guy who's pumped with steroids or wearing a toupee. I still have a greater appreciation for the real thing. And, of course, I have an appreciation for those who are 100% honest about their animals being hybrids. Unfortunately, we can't trust all their customers to show as much integrity.

peace
terry

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]