kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: many more questions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The General Snake Forum ]

Posted by duffy on February 22, 2003 at 17:24:08:

In Reply to: many more questions... posted by fcwegnm0 on February 22, 2003 at 16:26:16:

Dave,
I also like the idea of starting small and watching the snake grow. I have 2 of my ratsnakes in aquaria and 2 in plastic tupperware, rubbermaid, etc. Glass aquarium setups look nicer, plastic sweater boxes, such as rubbermaid, can be cheaper and easy to pick up and clean. You will need to drill or use a woodburner or soddering iron to make holes in tupperware. You will need a water dish, a "hide" which can be as simple as an upside down water dish or half a toilet paper roll for babies. A pal of mine uses the type of dog bowls which are hollow underneath and they double as a water dish and a hide. Substrate can be aspen, newspaper or some other type of bedding. They say that cedar is BAD...oils in cedar can be toxic to snakes. A warm area and a cool area is best. Some folks use an under tank heater, some use a basking light, some use an inexpensive heating pad with a thermostat. There are lots of dealers listed on Kingsnake's main page. You may want to see if any of them are located near enough to you to visit if they allow. Cornucopia/Kathy Love's business is generally respected in the cornsnake trade, but that's just off the top of my head. What major city do you live near, and are you able to drive? Did you check out EVENTS to see if a reptile show EVER comes near you? I never knew about them until a friend of mine told me, and we have one in Columbus, Ohio every month. If you decide on a corn, I would ask some questions on the cornsnake forum. See you there. Again, good luck. Duffy

:a reptile show isnt a possibility, there arent any close enough to my house. i dont think i could get a snake through one of the pet stores around here either, none of them carry snakes. what breeder would you recommend? id like to get a young snake, maybe a year or so old so i can watch him mature. what sex would be the easiest / most docile? what kind of enclosure would be good for him/her? and when its an adult? thanks once again for the great help. dave

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The General Snake Forum ]