kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Long, drawn out response from Toby

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Toby on October 19, 2001 at 11:02:57:

In Reply to: If You Raise CDTs you'll find this interesting posted by Toby on October 18, 2001 at 21:19:03:

Both sides to this seem to make sense to me. All I can say is "visually" the tortoise was impressive. Smooth shell, friendly, active, incredible growth. Of course no one can peer inside and take a look at the health and/or size of his organs. Only time will tell and prove or disprove the opinions expressed here.

On one hand I totally agree with EJ. If a tortoise is receiving as close to a "perfect diet" as man can synthetically provide, rate of growth would be expected to be high, at least higher than that of a wild specimen who must struggle for surrvival. Who's to say that those organs would'nt keep up with the growth? Why would'nt they? It's a hard fence to walk.

On the other hand I agree with Zab. I can see where the organs might not have as high a rate of growth as other parts of the tortoise and that this might affect it's longetivity. Lets say this tortoise reaches it's full growth in 20 years as opposed to 60 years in most specimens.
If the organs were not the size of a full grown, would they not play catch up in the years to come?
Eventually reaching the correct size and thus the tortoise lives on?

All I can say is the rate of growth is amazing and only time will show how long he will live.

Toby

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]