kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Hey Bill

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by Bill Moss on November 13, 2002 at 10:55:54:

In Reply to: Hey Bill posted by Gamera on November 13, 2002 at 10:11:09:

I knew you were kidding about the handbags.

About the housing arraingment, maybe I didn't make it clear but this is only a temporary display that is in use for 7 weekends per year. We will feed the animals in the pond once in a while while the patrons of the Renaissance Festival are gathered around - usually pieces of cooked turkey drumsticks that are so popular at these types of events. Being that the environment is so un-natural for them, out in the open with all the people around, some of the animals do not accept the food. The alligator snapper is one of them - in fact, I've never seen him eat and I've had him for three years. Some of the alligators and caimans eat, and some don't. The common snapper is a pig and will eat anything but there have never been any altercations over food out there.

The conflicts between the alligator snapper and the common only take place when both are on land and in the same area. In the water, the they don't go after one another, but rather angle toward the other as they pass one another.

As for the relative sizes of them, the alligator snapper is 50+ lbs and the common is about 10 lbs. There is no question about who the winner would be in the event of a conflict.

:
:Sorry for the crack about "hand bags", I was just kidding. Its a crazy world where people have to accesorize (sp?) themselves with animals.

:Im curious, how well does the ali'snap competes with the gators and the other turtles when it comes to chow time? Aren't the others a bit more aggressive eaters then it is? If so, how does it get its fare share of the food?

:Also you mentioned "when they see they see one another . . . they are ready to do battle". Do you mean that the common and the ali'snap are housed together? If so, if ever they do "battle" what happens and what is the outcome (they seem to be about the same size)?

:Thanks,
:Gam

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]