kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

More....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by azteclizard on January 22, 2003 at 15:27:46:

In Reply to: spirulina...(long) posted by mikecoscia on January 22, 2003 at 12:34:40:

I did a search on spirulina. As you know from the past, i am wary of info i get from websites that may have an agenda. Most of the sites i found that rave about spirulina are also selling it. I found some interesting info from a site not selling anything.

"Low protein source

For instance, it’s claimed that spirulina is a rich source of protein. True, the plant contains 62 - 68% protein but you’ll spend
less by eating white fish which has 97% protein, chicken (80%) or white lean beef (79%). Moreover, the US Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) said most spirulina products provide only negligible amounts of protein when taken as directed by their
labels. Some products advertised as spirulina have no spirulina at all.

Another sales pitch is that spirulina is packed with vitamins. But nutritionists say you’ll get more vitamins from broccoli and other
green vegetables.

Dieters may be enticed by ads which say spirulina only has 3.9 calories per gram. They may be surprised to know that sugar
contains 4 calories to the gram while bread has only 2 calories per gram. Both are cheaper than spirulina."

Here's the link: http://www.netasia.net/users/truehealth/Spirulina.htm

Just that other side of the coin that I always like to expose.

-Bill

:Okay I am glad we agree on the fact that just meat and baby fruit mixed together don’t cut it. More natural supplementation needs to be added. I haven’t taken a look at what you use but I am just weary of using certain products. There is no FDA for reptiles so I like to prepare things myself, its just my anal ways so don’t take offense to it =).

:As far as meat vs. spirulina goes, meat doesn’t even come close. You are right that it is more complex, but that is just one of the things that make it inferior. Spirulina is one of the world’s most nutritious foods. Spirulina is easier to break down (90-95% compared to meat’s 20%) making it easier to digest and utilize. It contains 18 out of the 22 amino acids, making it rather complete (if that’s what you where referring to in your post). It has a number of vitamins, minerals and trace elements (B, E, beta-carotene, etc). It is a good source of complex carbs. And unlike meat it is low cal, fat and cholesterol. There are a huge number of websites to check out describing the benefits.

:It really is a great source of nutrition for your reptiles and yourself too! Trace takes it every day..lol. I have used it raising dart frog and red-eye tree frog tadpoles when I bred them back in high school. Have used it on day geckos, turtles and torts, even gutloading my feeder insects. So it has def proved it’s value to me and I highly recommend supplementing it. Anyway I am not saying give up meat it still can be used every once in awhile. But don’t overlook spirulina it is a very valuable protein and other nutrient source =).
:-Mike
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]