kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

not too long...lol

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by mikecoscia on January 23, 2003 at 08:05:57:

In Reply to: response....long also...lol.. posted by azteclizard on January 22, 2003 at 23:34:00:

Oh don’t worry about the typos; I am just as bad if not worse…lol. But we are kind of both right now =). Spirulina is much more nutritious then a piece of chicken, and gram for gram it contains more protein. You are right that it is less dense, which I forgot to factor in so you need to eat more of it. However chicken being more complex like you said in your first post is supposedly only 20% digestable while the spirulina being simpler is 90-95%. That would make half a jar of baby food (to one whole jar of fruit) containing only 0.8 grams of usable protein. Now ½ cup of spirulina is a lot to add to one jar of baby food I won’t argue with there. Lets make it more reasonable at 1/8 a cup. The geckos will eat the stuff more readily then chicken anyway in my experiences. Now in 1/8 a cup being 90-95% digestable you get 0.9-0.95 usable protein. So it works out to be the same pretty much, but with the spriulina you get the additional vitamins and what not.

As far as me saying chicken is measly compared to spirulina, gram for gram I believe it is. Now I am not saying to live off the stuff, you could, you would just have to eat a lot. Marine iguanas I believe just live off the algae they manage to scrape of the rocks in the ocean and they do just fine. I never said give up meat in the original post; you should cut it back to 2-3 days a week if you need it and use the spirulina on the other days. Not just for its protein content but vitamin, mineral and trace elements in which IMO it is superior. Remember the original thread was about using meat/fruit mixes only. Which IMO should only be done if you add the right supplementation (bee pollen, spirulina, etc) and only if you have too. If your animals take crickets give it to them. That way you don’t have to give them fruit every single day (excess sugar) just so they get their daily protein intake. You get faster growing and larger geckos. At least that is what I have experienced in the past three generations where I experimented with both feeding methods. Hatchlings on fruit took longer to grow and mature into adults, which only makes sense. So for the final point (I hope..lol); crickets should be feed if your guys take them, if not meat works 2-3 times a week with spirulina (being superior with its nutrition load) added every other or every day. You raise healthier hatchlings, which is just my opinion. Anyway got to get back to work, hopefully I hit everything I wanted to. Oh well, enjoy your day =)
-Mike

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]