kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by K.E. on January 24, 2003 at 15:10:29:

In Reply to: posted by Colchicine on January 24, 2003 at 09:57:53:

Well,
Let me start by assuming that when you say Eastern rat snake you are referring to what was classically referred to as Elaphe obsoleta. Because you use the name "Eastern Rat" I am led to believe that you have accepted the last change to Elaphe alleghaniensis, and now you bring tidings that we should call it Pantherophis alleghaniensis. Well, it has been and always will be a cow sucker to me! This kind of stuff has plagued bird taxonomy for decades. Fortunately for them, they actually base a fraction of their taxonomy on the concept of a biological species. It seems that the current group of herp egg-heads are deciding to base a whole lot of this taxonomy solely on DNA testing. I would site the elevation of the Louisiana corn to a species as an example. What makes me the most frustrated about this stuff is that it seems inevitable that herp taxonomy will soon mirror that of the birds, where the generic names shift with the wind. What I find disgusting and in the poorest of taste is that the work of Conant, a man who spent his life in the field, is having his life's work modified by a bunch of young guys who sit at desks in universities. Well, like all science, the good will stick and the bad will be changed in the future. As for myself, I will stick with the second edition of Peterson's field guide by Conant and the Wright and Wright Hand book of snakes as the base of information in my North American herpetological endeavors. They certainly are not perfect, but what is? K.E.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]