kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Are poison-arrow frogs a danger to public health?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]

Posted by Colchicine on September 10, 2002 at 10:37:57:

I am currently involved with helping the animal control officer of a local county modify their exotic animal ordinance. This ordinance would prohibit the possession of such "dangerous" animals as venomous snakes and large constrictors without a permit. The permit would also require a $50,000 liability insurance or bond among other stipulations.

My main concern for this ordinance is to prevent it from being too restrictive. They are not trying to keep anyone from having these animals, they simply want some control over dangerous animals. The original ordinance listed "all poisonous amphibians" which I feel is too general. By all technicalities, all amphibians are poisonous and would require a permit and $50,000 liability insurance. This would include everything from a white's treefrog to a fowler's toad!

After some convincing they changed the policy, but later added "poisonous amphibians to include but not limited to poison-arrow frogs". I still have problems with this since it still included all amphibians.

My question here is, should captive poison-arrow frogs (or similar) be considered a threat to human life or health? I feel that all amphibians should be excluded from this ordinance as I never heard of anyone have serious complications from contact with an amphibian. I am not talking about eye and nose irritation, which expected from even a toad. I am speaking of disfigurement, loss of mobility, convulsions, coma or death. Can anyone cite examples of serious complications from handling an amphibian?

I feel that poison-arrow frogs in particular are very very low risk for escaping and endangering the public. Most are kept in secure glass tanks and would dehydrate and die within a matter of hours of escape. The only other amphibians to consider are Bufo marinus, but that is already strictly banned in the state of Va. I don't think they should require a permit, much less $50,000 liability insurance.

I would appreciate any opinions, specific cases, or even anecdotal stories, of problems associated with the possession of amphibians.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]