kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Well thats a bummer, For that could be read to include -

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]

Posted by tj on September 11, 2002 at 13:05:56:

In Reply to: Well thats a bummer, For that could be read to include - posted by Ravenspirit on September 11, 2002 at 12:03:26:

I agree, rats and racers..etc would get above 6 foot, I guess they don't see them as a threat. I can't figure it out, I have alot of mixed feelings about certain species. Personally I feel that any and all should be kept, but hots and large boids with a permit system. Many will not agree, but it will make responsible keepers out of the fly by nights. If a permit system is what it will take to keep the hobby, I'm all for it. Hell, where I live you need a license to keep hots, so I won't be effected too much. I know many talk about the big brother thing, but to me the permit way to go is not that bad. As far as statistics go, they wouldn't agree simply because the number of dogs FAR exceeds the number of snakes. I tried going that route, and got shot down real fast.
I also agree that many are biased, especially the ones that think that snakes are cold-blooded killers (pardon the pun).
-tom

I think most consider "large" as anything over 6 feet in length....ie larger than a ball python. Although I guess they can get longer than that"

:Many ratsnakes, pits, and other commonly kept species that can exceed 6 feet, but couldnt kill anything larger then a rat or small rabbit -

:Why not a specific list of large constrictors - Boas Constrictors have never killed anyone - And they get big - ?

:So, why not ban, if your going to, Specifically, Retics and Burms, both of which are the ones who have killed people in cative situations ? - Not leave it open to interpert - Go by the facts, and pick animals that have, in captive situations cased death, or extreme harm -

:Personally, I dont like those restrictions of this sort at all, Because even when well written out, they are bias - Id fight the whole thing, or have verry specific requirments, that dont finacially incapacitate people -Like the huge amount it would take in the case of these animals in this case -Is that mirrored from local "Dangerous dog laws" - ?

:Dogs are far more dangerous then any large snake statistically, and anyone can keep any type they wish -

:Just my feeling on this issue -

:Raven -
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]