kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

HELP! Disaster with Superworms.........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by LindsayMarie on April 24, 2003 at 14:46:21:

I had made a bedding consisting of exactly, rolled oats, baby rice cereal, multi grain cheerios, wheat germ, unsalted sunflower seeds, dried green split peas, alfalfa blocks and tropical fish flakes. I ground it using a coffee grinder to a chunky powder, although it did feel a little oily from I believe the sunflower seeds? Anyways, I was going to use it for the superworms I had turn into beetles. After having the beetles in their for almost a week, they became sluggish, weak and dying! So I removed them and put them on just rolled oats. I decided not to let the bedding I made go to waste so I took the superworms out of the NASTY bedding I had them in (had planned to change their bedding anyway as it was getting moldy). Anyways, I put them in the bedding, a few seemed like they were dying, but most seemed ok. Now that was last night, today I look in there and at least 30-40 are dead and more dying!!! I dont know if it is because I have had them for months, or because the old bedding started to mold and was nasty looking and smelling or if it is my bedding!!!! I dont know what ingredient in the bedding would kill them??? Or maybe its the texture of the new bedding I made? I am so frustrated. I just killed several hundred worms! I feel horrible. Not to mention it hurts the pocket! I went out and spent 15-20 dollars on bedding material, enough for a couple months and now I cant use it! Plus the 10 dollars for all the worms I just killed and I just had to order more. Oh also, when I came home from vacation tuesday, there were a few dzen dead superworms in the older container with the old bedding. So I am confused! I have had some of these worms for many months and others we just bought last month, but they were pretty big! To be honest in the couple years I have been keeping worms I never had more then a couple die on me! I usually used them first or they just live for a long time! Its not normal to see this many dead! What can be wrong? What should I do? Is there anyway to salvage any of the ingredients I listed as I have some left over of everything! I have 1000 supers coming tomorrow in the mail and have no idea what to put them on now! ARGH!!!!!! ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, LM

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]