kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Shell trouble! kinda long/more......Long!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Terry on February 13, 2002 at 09:54:57:

In Reply to: Re: Shell trouble! kinda long posted by Terry on February 13, 2002 at 08:59:45:

Lisa,
I had a look at your photos. My Bubba looked a bit like your Bubba when I first got him (not quite as bad, but bad), when Niki posts the photos you'll be able to see then and now photos.

Here's what I suggest and this is just my opinion, going by my experience.
Plenty of exercise, provide the largest indoor enclosure you possibly can.
Also provide a very large outdoor grazing area/enclosure for warm weather, the bigger the better.The whole yard if possible.

What foods are you feeding now?
When they're outdoors cut way back on additional (store bought)foods and let them graze.Try and supplement the grazing diet with foods such as hibiscus flowers/leaves, mulberry leaves etc.As well as the above
the greens I primarily supplement my tortoises diet with are endive, romaine and turnip greens.

Like everyone else I worry about pyramiding and at the moment I'm trying to figure out how to help Hoku (my baby) continue growing as smoothly as possible.
Hoku has been housed outdoors during the day since a hatchling. In Hawaii his hatchling enclosure measured around 15'x10'. Sounds big for a tiny hatchling, but he roamed very inch and most of his diet was grazing/hibiscus etc.

Here in Arizona he goes out with the big torts, as there isn't enough room to provide him his own spacious enclosure.I believe lots of exercise is key.
He is closely supervised as Angel would ram him, given the chance and Bubba is a bit afraid of this tiny tort!So I sit outside or watch through the windows as much as possible! LOL.
Hoku small as he is roams the entire area and knows all the little nooks for hiding in!
I don't supplement his diet much at all, there's enough grass for him.He does find a bit of endive ,romaine or turnip greens, if the big torts leave scraps!

I had to supplement Angel and Bubbas diet this winter with store bought greens, which I rarely had to in Hawaii.
In the spring/summer there's plenty of graze.
But they've grazed the winter rye down to almost nothing.

So I supplement with hay (timothy or bermuda grass hay)and the greens mixed in. The hibiscus is dormant until it warms up a it more and the mulberry tree I bought is leafless right now!

So I suggest lots of room, as much time outdoors as possible during warm weather.And a diet as near to natural as you can.

It will be interesting to see if there are any changes in my torts growth, now that I have to feed more store bought foods and hay during the winter.
That's why I'm trying to supplement little Hokus diet as little as possible, he can still graze on what little grass/weeds etc are left.

I do realise that for many people outdoor housing isn't possible much of the year, nor is growing food in the yard, in cooler climates.

Hope this helps a bit and sorry for rambling on!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]