kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Shell trouble! kinda long

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Terry on February 13, 2002 at 08:59:45:

In Reply to: Shell trouble! kinda long posted by Lisa on February 12, 2002 at 20:24:44:

Lisa,
I've found that natural sunlight seems to play a big part in helping torts grow smoothly.
I'm not saying that it's the complete answer.My daughter has a friend down the road who has a juvenile sUlcata that's been indoors most of it's life.
The growth isn't completely smooth, but it's far less pyramided than most young sulcata I've seen pictures of.

But I also have two sulcata with pyramiding.
Both had it when I got them, on Bubba the pyramiding was quite bad, on Angel not quite as bad.
They've lived outdoors since I've had them,and have a large area, so plenty of exercise.
I also try to keep their diet as natural as posible, feeding nothing with a very high protein content.(although most of what we feed in captivity is far higher in protein,than the foods they find in the wild)

Niki will be posting photos of these sulcata soon (when she recieves them via snail mail)I think you can clearly see the growth patterns on both tortoises.
Both have had huge growth spurts since I've had them, this happened during the first/second year after I got them, maybe all the natural sunlight. But the new growth is much smoother/flater.
However you can clearly still see the pyramiding.
It's looks a little weird because the new growth is smooth, the scutes are now relatively flat, with little pyramids just at the top/in the middle of each scute!

Is this how your torts are growing, or is the pyramiding continuing?

I don't know what to suggest, except eliminate any foods that are very high in protein and in the warm weather let them get plenty of natural sunlight and exercise.

They probably won't ever look completely normal, if the pyramiding is bad.Although they can smooth out as they grow. Angel (my female) doesn't look normal even though the new growth is flat. You can clearly see where the pyramided/raised scutes end and the smooth growth begins. And then on Bubba there are those little bumps (the remainder of his pyramiding)in the middle of flat scutes!!

You just have to do the best you can.
Even on Hoku my baby whose growth is smooth till now, I have no idea what I was doing right. This year will be interesting as the torts have moved from a warm year round ,humid climate. To a dry hot climate, with cooler winters.
I think this year (his second)will be very telling with Hoku.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]
"#postfp">Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]