kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Indoor tortoises...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by graham(UK) on March 20, 2002 at 14:19:32:

In Reply to: Indoor tortoises... posted by EJ on March 20, 2002 at 13:50:22:

Hi Ed, Nice to see your tort. What I find interesting is that the color is dark like all my 3.
from a pic point of view, yours could easliy be one of mine. Strange how little difference there is despite such widely differing feeding regimes/climates.

As you know mine are here in the UK, so "sunshine" is rarely availble in "strength" & "duration".
I know you said your was an "indoor" tort & fed mainly grocery greens, which is exactly how I feed mine. Although they do have free roam of the garden & thus eat the lawn grass daily, even in the colder months.

When I go to the supermarket, they get the fullest selection available, I mean they have a wide variety of foods given.
Cabbage, peppers (not chilli pepeprs)carrot, mangetoo, kale, broccolie, cauliflower, cucumber, courgette, melon, strawberries, mushrooms, grapes, apples, bananas, peaches, pears, parsnips, swede, & Then they get weeds from the garden.
They get continuous supply of cuttlebone, every other daily sprinklings with suppliments.

I never give them water, allbeit they have an outside "pond" to wallow in should they wish to use it, but rarely do.

I never use "artificail diets".

Just my two cents,
graham(UK)

: I've seen quite a few pictures on this very list that look as good if not better. So it can be done and it's gotta make you wonder.
: I feed Romain, escerole, endive, green leaf, redleaf, kale, turnip greens, collard greens, and sometimes herbs. Then now I'm feeding Mazuri diet on alternate feedings. He will be moved outside in the nex year or so. I really would like to see the results of Chris' study. I'm also very curious as to the method considering all the variables.
: Ed

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]