kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My new Russian tortoise :) Now what :P

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paco on August 25, 2000 at 09:35:37:

Well, I got my little friend, Dagwood the Russian tortoise. He's an active little fellow, at least when I'm not around. I got him at a Petsmart ::frowns:: I've had him 4 days now, and I'm gonna give him his first bath here in a day or two. They told me not to handle him much the first 5 days, as he's stressed out. I wash my hands before and after I touch him so I don't get any diseases, yet I still eat uncooked cookie dough...Anyways, he is in his outdoor pen from 9 in the morning till 7 at night. He enjoys basking and staring into corners. I move him indoors at night. He just burrows into the Timothy Hay and falls fast asleep. The only thing I'm worried about is I think he trys to escape when outside. He goes into a corner and slowly starts digging. I check on him every 30 minutes or so, so he doesn't have a chance to get very far. However, when at school I won't be able to do this. I think this means that my pen isn't interesting to him, but I don't know what else to put in there. I have 2 water dishes, 2 hidey holes, some ground cover and flowers, a mulch pile, and a Timothy hay pile in there. Everything else is hard dirt. What do I do?? Another problem I have is he won't eat anything I give him. I've given him different types of things I know he is 'supposed' to like, but he ignores it. I've seen him eating some of the groundcover though. I don't know what to do! He's a cute bugger though, when I move him inside for the night, he hides in his shell, then halfway through the journey he practically jumps out of his shell like he is trying to fly/walk. I hope this is normal. Here's the last thing, and I know someone is going to get mad at me for this. He hasn't seen a vet yet. The Petsmart guy told my mom that they were captive bred, so my mom is convinced Dagwood doesn't need to see a vet. I've tryed to tell her that they lied to us, but she still thinks that it is a waste of money. I don't know what to do... Anyways, that's all. He's always in a different place when I check on him, so I think that's good :)

Cheers,
Paco

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]