kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: My new Russian tortoise :) Now what :P

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on August 25, 2000 at 12:29:47:

In Reply to: My new Russian tortoise :) Now what :P posted by Paco on August 25, 2000 at 09:35:37:

Paco,

You were most definitely lied to! Petsmart has never sold a captive turtle or tortoise to my knowledge. I am assuming that Dagwood is nearly full grown. It takes several years for them to mature. Most breeders dealing with pet stores are not interested in hanging onto their stock that long. Unless it is obvious that Dagwood is a hatchling or a yearling there is little likelihood of him being captive bred. Also, a vet examination is not a waste. Unless you had the opportunity to visit this supposed breeders facilities you would have no idea of how he was maintained. My guess is Dagwood is probably loaded with parasites. Show your Mom my note and the ones that are surely to follow. It's far better to visit the vet now and have him checked out than to suffer heartbreak down the road.

Regards,

Alex

P.S. What are you feeding Dagwood? Also try adding some additional plants, rocks etc. to the enclosure to make it more interesting. As for the flying make sure he is supported underneath when you bring him in. Make sure he is able to put his feet down on something besides air.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]