kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: My new Russian tortoise :) Now what :P

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leslie on August 28, 2000 at 16:22:40:

In Reply to: My new Russian tortoise :) Now what :P posted by Paco on August 25, 2000 at 09:35:37:

: Hey Paco - there you are... my fellow Colo tort owner...
Yes - 1 thing... Petsmart doesn't know a bit about tortoises! If they gave you a care sheet - DITCH IT!!!
Mine said to feed froz veggies and dog food...
WRONG...
But you have done most of the research.
My Russian tries to push my hands away when I am moving him as well. I saw a little basket like thing at Target (for about 1.50) in the plastic(s) section... Most of the time he is toted in that. If you have to carry him around by hand - keep him as low to the ground as long as you can... or.. my son puts him close to his chest... He doesn't like heights.
As for getting out of the pen... I find that no matter what I do... and how I try to make his pen better so he will like it...He always tries to get out. I think it is their nature...ROAMING
They can burrow so make sure that the pen has about 4 inches of something into the ground so he cannot get out.
Mine so far has not dug too deeply - he is a much better climber...
That's what I have to watch.
As for the vet...
YES - definitely do it.
Mine was from Petsmart and luckily parasite free.
It will cost about 55.00 - but is worth it..
Tell you Mom... PIECE OF MIND!
Better yet... print out these posts and show her...
Better safe than sorry!

Cheers
Leslie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: