kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

If the birders can make it work, why can't we?....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by chrish on January 09, 2003 at 15:31:18:

In Reply to: I'm with Kenny on that one posted by WW on January 09, 2003 at 13:54:26:

The American Ornithological Union produces a list of standardized names of birds in the US and Canada (which they attempt to coordinate with similar lists in other english speaking countries - thus the US "Oldsquaw" is now called the European name "Long-tailed Duck").

The process of getting these names established was a painful one for many while people's favorite common names went by the wayside, but overall the system works and you can talk about birds with other bird people with some semblence of coherence.

I believe what Crother et al. are trying to do is a good thing and I hope with time it will stick. There will be a few holdouts who don't like certain names (Hog-nosed Snake for example), but over time the system will work if people use it.

I don't agree with the previous lists of common names proposed by Collins et al as that list tended to make taxonomic decisions at the same time as making the common name decisions.

Regarding Pituophis, I agree with the use of the name Bull Snake for historical reasons. In fact, Bull Snake is probably an older name than Gopher Snake. If we were to use the rules for nomenclature that are used for scientific names, all the west coast species should be Bull Snakes (assuming they are conspecific).

I have always wondered about the specific status of deppei as well. Where does catenifer stop and deppei start in north central mexico? I have seen quite a few deppei from around mexico city, and they looked a lot like a colorful affinis to me!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]