kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

The workers are well qualified...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by Kenny Wray on December 09, 2002 at 18:52:15:

In Reply to: science? posted by emoneill on December 09, 2002 at 12:53:16:

and have done work on this species before. I believe you either misuderstood Troy and/or he worded it poorly. As I understand it, the work has already been done and the writing/review process is on its way. Although you are right about conclusions occuring after an experiment, your experiment begins with a hypothesis and this hypothesis often is what a researcher believes to be the case.

As for the subspecies being outdated. You are listening to a select few. True the evolutionary species concept is currently envogue, but it has its own problems too (just as a reproductive species concept or any of the several other species concepts from the past). A subspecies is no more than a geographic race. If you refuse to think that peninsular Florida Ratsnake's are not distinct from all other rat snakes with vey small integrade zones, well you are wrong. As far as a distinct evolutionary lineage, none of the obsoleta are isolated and all exchange gene flow from north to south and east to west.
The problem with today's taxonomists/systematists is that an entire generation is being taught procedures that they do not fully comprehend. You can teach anyone to run gels and sequences (I should know I was a work study student my freshman year in an immunopathology lab going through the entire procedure, except for the interpretation of the data). In addition, many researchers are totally out in the cold, when it comes to the natural history and ecology of these animals they work on. As Langaha put it "Gel Jockies". Their interpretation of their data leaves alot to be desired. The human ego rushes to put out a paper before all the evidence is in, because they want to have their named attached to a description. Rumor has it, that this is what happened with Burbink's "slowinskii".
Later, KW

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]