kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: that looks like a .......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by hotshot on April 16, 2003 at 19:26:38:

In Reply to: that looks like a ....... posted by dan felice on April 16, 2003 at 19:00:50:

Dan
Yep this is how the black rats can look here in KY. They are very variable in coloration, and that is what makes them so neat. I caught mine at my brother-in-laws house in 2001. He is from Bullitt county and when I first caught him, I had thought he may have been a hatchling gray rat. So he may have lots of gray rat influence in him. He was maybe a day or two old when I caught him, hadnt even had his first shed!! He was maybe 11 or 12" long. He is now over 40" and still putting on the size! I have a '00 cali king as well, and my black rat is eating larger mice than the king!! I have a KY locale corn snake as well, and he was 48" the last time I measured him, that was probably 3 or 4 months ago, so he is a little longer now. But the black rat will catch up to him next year the way he is growing!!

Here is another pic of him, not quite as good as the first, but it shows his pattern pretty well.

But for the most part the black rats in KY look like this and some are even darker, but you would be hard pressed to find a solid black one here. Maybe over in the western corner of KY you may find them solid black, that is pretty close to the part of MO I grew up in and there they are solid black. Just like the ones in your neck of the woods.
Happy Herping
Brian

:texas rat snake. is that really a black rat? we have blackrats that look something like that around here but we call them juvineles.lol. sorry, couldn't resist. seriously, they are solid black [white-chinned] here in the northeast by their 2nd year. nice looking snake though. do you know the locality?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]