kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Several Kentucky herpers put on . . .>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by terryp on April 17, 2003 at 09:32:34:

In Reply to: Re: that looks like a ....... posted by patricia sherman on April 17, 2003 at 04:54:07:

quite a picture show of their state's black rat snakes a while back. I currently have a pair of 2 year old Guthrie, KY locale black rat snakes. They exhibit the colors and pattern retention of Brian's black rat snake. I've done a little research and asked some questions. Word has it that there is gray rat snake influence in some of the populations of black rat snakes in Kentucky and other regions that came up from the Mississippi river delta region. The black rat snake in these populations we see now have evolved from this integration. This isn't a present integrade. People will at first say Texas rat snake because it's pattern is and remains visible. I'd have to disagree with it being Texas rat snake, but it is a good question or obsevation. There was also discussion awhile back about melanism. Are there melanistic populations of black rat snakes making them the almost pure black snakes that some areas seem to have? A melanistic black rat snake would evolve in populations rather than not survive as an amelanistic. Alan Garry has worked with and seems to have alot of data and info on black rat snakes. He's a great person to e-mail and ask questions on black rat snakes. Good luck

:Yep this is how the black rats can look here in KY. They are very variable in coloration ...
:

:I have some beautiful extreme blacks, but I don't know where they originated. I'm guessing either from Pennsylvania or a New England State, although it is possible they may have originated from Ontario ancestors. I've had them for over a decade. Most of their offspring turn out as black as they are, but some are less-solid, and retain a blotched appearance throughout their lives. Even so, these less-solid snakes are still very dark. I purchased a male from another breeder, and he's an olivey colour, with not-quite-black blotches, much like the snake you've got. I've been assured that he's a pure Pantherophis o. obsoleta of "Kentucky" coloration.

:For those that would say your snake looks more like a P. o. lindheimeri, I'd have to say they're wrong. I have a normal coloured Texas rat, and his background colour is far more orange than olive, also he has a red tongue. I'm willing to bet that your snake's tongue is black.

:tricia

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]