kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Tired of it, so start swinging

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]

Posted by jared w on May 12, 2003 at 16:31:02:

Ok, I do have a rant, I said I wouldnt do It but I will> I have serious issues with venomoid animals and here goes.

I would Like to see all venomoiders surgical Licenses, and the vet schools they attended

I Would also like to know, out of curiousity, how many of those venomoid keepers routinely see these animals at shows, and they dont look like there heads have been pulled apart.

Where do these operations occur, does anyone have photos of your surgical set ups, are they sterile, is everything rocaled on a daily basis? Personally I have assisted 400+ surgeries, ranging from HBC, spays, neuters, and DECLAWS etc etc

The animals are devalued as people pick them up like cornsnakes and even let them get bit?!?!

In my eyes, its the keepers problem, they obviously have an issue and are either afraid (in which case you should reconsider what your doing) of the animal or do not understand the individuals behavior. And instead of taking some time and learing more about it, they choose the easy road and cripple the animal.

Venom aids in digestion, and yes they can be digested without, but why would nature give it to the animal in the first place?

I Have never seen a venomoid that couldnt easily be pointed out, the surgeries are sloppy, and anyone can see that.

I dont agree with declaws, canine pulling, venomoids, etc. If you are not confident in your private, tech, or vetrinary capabilities you should not punish animals based on your lack of ability. Big cats, are SUPPOSED TO HAVE CANINES, SO ARE WOLVES, BEARS, And Baboons. It REALLY reflects on the keeper if they feel it necessary to preform such barbaric actions. Also, most vets (as stated, some arent very good, and need money anyway) will not do these surgeries for various reasons. Personally, I would hope they have better ethics. WHAT alot of people dont understand is, THESE ANIMALS ARE NOT PETS< get a dog or cat if you need a companion, my animals are all specimens, that I observe monitor and record spending routinely 6hrs a day working with herps. This isnt a game, dont try to force WILD ANIMALS to play by your rules, jesus am I the only one here who has seen jurassic park LOL! Nature has reprocussions, and the first time part of a gland is missed, it regenerates, and some no nothing lets his now hot cobra chew on his arm the s@&# will hit the fan. I dont think this is based on personal preference, I mean, are roundups based on preference? They all consider themselves to be herpetologist? Its one thing to work with animals that you love (trust me, I dont do this for the money) its another to cripple them to increase standard market value. I Know I will get bashed, but thats ok, I dont need to give you my experience, etc etc as its not necessary. I know most of the people on this forum, and I understand as long as snakes are considered nuisance animals you can do whatever ya like to um, but personally it does not represent well on the keeper. My 0.02 on this pathetic subject,

Jared

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]