kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Medicating Tortoises

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by geckoman2003 on April 24, 2003 at 21:15:23:

In Reply to: Medicating Tortoises posted by jont52 on April 24, 2003 at 17:01:56:

Do you have a good reptile vet? If not take a fecal sample into any vet. It will cost you around $5-$10. Then you can get the right meds. Don't take your torts to a vet that doesn't specailize in reptiles. That could do more harm then good. If you do find a good reptile vet he will worm them for you. Worming torts is not easy and to me is worth every penny I pay my vet.
You can try giving each tort. a bath by itself and collect the fecal from the bath water. You will need to stay with them due to the fact that if you are not fast enough they will break up the dropping. Thus making it very hard to collect.
:I was wondering if anybody has any information about how to medicate tortoises. A couple months ago I bought a group of yelllowfoots which were imported from Guyana and I wanted to preventatively treat them with dewormers and such to insure that they are healthy. IVe read alot of literature and for every piece that says medicate teh otehr says dont. I have decided I want to do it anyway but my tortoises are too shy and will not allow the delivery of the meds directly. I am really at a loss for what to do. I have already lost one of them but I do not know why. Any information is helpful.

:Mike

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]