kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

More info...... and I have a PIC of him

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by kephy on May 01, 2003 at 15:28:00:

In Reply to: C'mon...admit it... posted by cindy on May 01, 2003 at 12:59:03:

::...you love your other herps and really want to keep it for a while before releasing it, so set up a tank and filter for it and enjoy it for a year or two!::

TRUE. But I know when I'm over my head, and I really just want to do what's best for the little guy. If that means releasing him after two weeks or keeping him for a year, I'll do what it takes. I'm also thinking that if we have him for longer than a week or two I'll take him to my herp vet and get him checked out and see what she thinks.

::I don't know where you are from, but commons here in MO won't even lay eggs until later in May, and those eggs won't hatch until later in the summer, so odds are you have a really malnourished yearling that needs fattening up.::

I'm from Texas. As for his age I really don't know. I took him to Petsmart w/ me yesterday to get the crickets, and the reptile girl there said she thought it was a hatchling because it still had a belly-button sort of thing, and she also thought he looked pretty fat. She also thought he was floating a lot and said we should keep an eye on that to make sure his swim blatter is okay. However, I am weary of any info I get from anyone at Petsmart, so I took it all with a grain of salt. His shell is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches in diameter, for whatever that's worth.

::(can you tell I am the queen of rationalization when it comes to finding excuses to keep a new pet?)::

I'm the same way. We already have 8 other pets, what's one more gonna hurt? Nine is a good number. :)

But like I said I know when I'm over my head, and I'm not sure a full grown snapping turtle is something we would be prepared to deal with. Plus there's that great feeling you get when you release an animal back into the wild where it came from.......

Anyhow, here's a picture of the little fella.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]