kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Aggressive or hungry Male Gecko??? Need your help/opinion...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by SLCT_Rep777 on April 07, 2003 at 01:43:49:

Hi there. I need everyone's help/opinion. I recently put in my youngest (possibly friskiest) adult male Crested in with a female I wanted him to be paired with. I was doing work with my other geckos, so I was able to watch them fairly closely the first few minutes. A few minutes in as she crossed his path, I noticed he grabbed he on her side, she shook her tail as if to warn him and in a few seconds he let go. Then all of a sudden he started to go for her tail, which she was shaking (especially the tip) as if a warning. I quicky opened the cage and seperated the two.

Now my questions are :

Is it common for a young male (or any male for that matter) to be overly, even foolishly or dangerously aggressive with females in hopes of mating? Or was this likely a feeding reaction/mistake?

Was this behavior just a sign of immaturity?

He is the youngest adult male I have, I'm not certain of his age, but he is about 3 1/3 inches (snout to vent), while my other two males are 4+ " (snout to vent).

After seperating the two, I threw some crickets in with the male and he quickly ate them. I relize now that I should of fed him before putting him in with the female. I wouldn't think he would be so hungry as to immediately attack the female, as he was fed daily the previous two nights.

Has anyone ever had a similar incident, with an overly aggressive male?

Should I attempt to place them together in the future, or should I let him mature a little?

Sorry, one more thing. The tip of the females tail appears to be bent a bit now. This is the part that she was shaking so rapidly. Is it possible the male had seized her tale and caused this? It's not bloody or visably injured, it's just slightly bent in one direction. Does anyone know if this is common or know of in Cresteds (for the tale to be bent a little from injury, but not fall off). It is the very end (1 1/2") of her tale.

Thanks in advance!!!

--Chris--

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]