kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

temperature-sensitive mutation? Carins/de Lucia exp on Pol 1

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]

Posted by SFgeckos on May 08, 2003 at 13:45:46:

In Reply to: Deformities or Mutation???? posted by jeffmedley on May 08, 2003 at 12:38:06:

This may be a little advanced but here goes my thoughts...

(i forgot what year it was) but Carins and de Lucia isolated and studied a pol 1 mutation- they found that mutant cells that grow at normally low temperatures ceased to grow at high temperatures. These are called temperature-sensitive mutations. The proteins produced by TSMs work well at low temperatures but lose their structural integrity at high temperatures. The study was actually done on DNA Pol 1, but i think it can apply to most cells in general.

Basically it shows that even DNA cells that operate normally at low temperatures can be affected and structurally changed at higher temperatures. I believe all cells can be affected (positively or negatively) when there are sudden changes and spikes in temperature, say an increase or decrease. For us humans, a change of 80F to 90F doesn't really mean too much, but for one cell or a small group of cells that is very very drastic. So after 2-3 weeks of incubation, how many cells do u think a "leo" is?? Probaby not more than a few hundred, and what do u think happens when ya crank up the heat???

Just my thoughts and opinions. I think some of the professors on this forum can elaborate a bit more since i don't have a Masters or Phd (yet).

-SFgeckos

:Here's my two cents on the matter. (And it may not even be worth that much.)

:First a little background. I've taught human genetics, zoology, anatomy, and microbiology for the last 8 years. I have a Masters defree in microbiology and education. I know about leopard geckos as much as the next guy who spends way to much time researching on the internet, not the most valid research tool.... :)

:Ok here we go. A mutation is an exchange, deletion or addition of DNA bases, typically caused by chemicals or radiation a.k.a a mutagen. I have never heard of incubation temps causing mutation as they are defined. What temperature can do is affect the development of tissues and cells at the cellular level, not the molecular level. The beginning of any animals gestation is the most important. Most body systems are well developed within the first third of gestation. The rest of the time is simply growing larger.

:Not any knock on Ron Tremper, he did donate a very nice male gecko to my class, god bless the man. But he breeds thousands of geckos and has far more expertise than any of us.

:So what is causing deformities in his incubation method. My theory, as lose as it is... Is that during the first few weeks the geckos body systems are being developed, Circulatory, and nervous first, quickly followed by digestive, respiratory,excretory and reproductive. Human sex is determined by the presense of a Y chromosome, geckos are regulated by temp. The systems are settling in at 80 degree developmental rates, and wham ... you jack the temp up smack dab in the middle of development and the systems are thrown for a loop. They are now developing much quicker. Proteins, enzymes and hormones that were once working to build tissue at 80 degrees are now inneffective at the new higher temps. They shut down , mistakes now occur and deformities ensue. Protein (enzymes) are very temperature dependant. Alter this and there will be problems.

:Its my theory and I'm stickin with it.

:Sorry for the bio lesson.

:Peace

:Med

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]