kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Anthropomorphism at its best!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]

Posted by Convicts4Ever on May 12, 2003 at 22:19:11:

In Reply to: Anthropomorphism at its best! posted by Colchicine on May 12, 2003 at 18:40:15:

:
:It is exhibiting a classic defensive posture. Basically, the toad finds this stimulation threatening and is doing what it can to minimize exposure of its vulnerable underside to the potential threat. Frogs are a hands-off pet, and this is a good reason why.
:
I can see frogs as hands off unless you have rubber gloves on due to the threat of hurting it's skin, but you CAN handle toads if you wash your hands. She is starting to associate my presence with the appearance of food, and will approach ME when she sees my hand in the tank. If she was affraid I'd hurt her, she would inflate like a balloon and rear back to make herself look way bigger. I have a lot of experience with toads, and I'm not Anthromorphosizing her(endowing her with human qualities). I do wash my hands before touching any of my amphibians so I don't hurt them accidentily, I avoid all contact with my frogs, and If the toads so choose it they can approach ME. I still treat them as animals, but I give them names so I can talk to them and they'll know my voice. I'm not a little child and if you were talking to one, you might discourage them from coming into contact with any animal. I do respect you though, so don't take this as offensive, I was just telling you my opinion. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]