kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

tadpole feeding methods

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]

Posted by Colchicine on May 09, 2003 at 19:10:25:

In Reply to: tadpole size differences posted by Mercedesherp on May 09, 2003 at 17:17:31:

Can you provide a reason why cooked (not boiled) lettuce should not be used? I have raised several species of frogs native to Va on this method alone with the usual metamorph mortality. I don't know what the experts use, but I doubt they spend a lot of time on gray treefrogs and Fowler's toads either.

I wouldn't use anything from the native pond, I can't think of a better way to introduce and continually expose parasites, diseases, and chemical contaminants to the captive animals.

::I have about 10 woodfrog tads in a 10g tank, definately not overcrowded. I am wondering why two/three of the tads are quite larger than the majority. They all get a chance to feed and I change half the water daily. Is it a hormonal/pheremonal thing? Also, while cleaning the tank, I fould one tad had been completely dissected and maybe half-eaten. I didn't know that wood frog tads were carnivorous. I am feeding them on crumbled fish flakes and boiled lettuce, and they do eat the algae I allow to grow on the tank walls. any help would be appreciated.

: There will always be different size tads from any breeding. Some will be geneticly fast growers while others will hardly grow at all. Some will never morph into froglets and will die as tads. I would not feed boiled lettuce. Quality fish food flake supplemented with frehly collected decaying plant matter ( from the same pond ) will do much better. Did you get my message about your unusually colored wood frog? Hank
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]