kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Just because you say so? And a guess for your pic...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]

Posted by jaffo on September 13, 2002 at 11:52:33:

In Reply to: Re: dang you fellas are awful silly posted by FR on September 12, 2002 at 20:34:09:

"I really mean I feel silly, but i really hate to tell ya, hybrids occur,"

>>> No one will argue the fact that hybrids occur Frank. But they occur more commonly in captivity. There's no reason for them to occur in nature unless it's a freak accident.

"no one said commonly, where the heck did you get that?"

>> You did.

" But they still occur. As I said, more commonly then you may think."

>>> What sort of documentation could you refer me to to give a little weight to that viewpoint. I don't mean to challenge you. I just want to participate in a more factual discussion. Making claims that can't be investigated won't do anyone any good-- and won't put much weight behind your point either. I want to make this easier on you.

" But most would fail right off, for lots of goofy reasones, you know, like the stuff you have been saying."

>>> So what you really mean is, we really have no idea how many natural hybrids there are, because they die off before we find them. This could also mean that there are hardly ever natural hybrids.

" The only requirement is crossing eachothers path. Yes, there are mechanisms to prevent this, but as you will learn in life, all things fall, sooner or later."

>>> We are talking about snakes here. You don't need to tell me about what I may or may not learn in life. But I appreciate the sentiment. I doubt you give me advice like that because you care. LOL.

"I know I have an advantage of being an old frog, and having the advantage of hanging with keepers and zoo fellas my whole life. so I have seen them every now and again. But not commonly."

>>> So exactly how many natural rattlesnake hybrids have you seen? Zoo stock and captive specimens don't count. I have seen several captively-produced hybrid rattlers. People do stupid things with captive animals.

"How come no one would guess on my pic, are your afraid to be wrong????? "

>>> No, of course not. I came to terms with the fact that I can be wrong a long time ago. You, as an old frog, should have as well.

Your pic? With as little as you show, it looks like an atrox. I didn't feel like guessing when I know you've got something planned to make anyone's guess look stupid. It's your game.

I would suggest showing a bit more than an atrox tail.

Jaffo

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]