kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Genetics 'n all

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by sasheena on April 27, 2003 at 22:34:20:

In Reply to: Genetics 'n all posted by Serpwidgets on April 27, 2003 at 20:58:40:

Thanks your message helps a lot... in other words if I make it all up, I won't discover that I've scrunched someone else's toes. Great.... so if I promise to leave all the fancy schmancy letter systems out of it and just tell you the words for it, will you mind giving me a few pointers, for instance if I asked... What would happen if you had a snake that homozygous for amelanism and anerythristic, you could tell me it's a blizzard (or snow, or or or...?) hehe. Anyway, thanks for your informative post, it will help me in getting these guys figured out, at least to a certain degree. It's like a logic puzzle, and I can't stand not figuring those things out, so I'm going to have to get a handle on these corn snake morphs and the genetics behind them, just so I know what the heck everyone is talking about. :)

Thanks again.

~Sasheena

:It probably helps that rats and mice had their genomes mapped so thoroughly.

:There are no set standard names or symbols for any cornsnake loci or genes or alleles yet, use what you like.

:If what you really need is symbols, just use "Am, am" for the amel locus and "An, an" for the Anery locus etc.

:To be honest, I absolutely can't stand any of the notation systems used for describing loci or genotypes (the above "paragraph" even gives me to creepy-crawlies) so I don't even care what anyone else uses. I don't want to know about it, or hear about it, or be within 10 light years of it. hehe

:The only traits which have been shown to act as alleles are motley and striped, which are recessive to wild type and codominant to each other.

:The recessives are:
:Amelanistic
:Anerythrystic A
:Charcoal (Anery B)
:Lavender
:Sunkissed (Hypo B)
:Motley/Stripe

:There are some that for the most part act like recessives, but at least in certain bloodlines, it looks like it is possible to make visual distinctions between the het and non-het offspring... IOW, the wild type isn't always completely dominant:
:Hypomelanism
:Caramel
:"Bloodred" (Which is the name applied to both a trait and a selectively-bred morph, joy of joy)
:ZigZag/Aztec

:There aren't any dominant mutants discovered yet.

:There's also no Hypermelanism, hypoerythrism, etc found yet.

:Does that help? ;) (I'm NOT going to make up notation, hehe.)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]