kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Panther hybrids

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by Ivan on April 18, 2003 at 20:24:37:

In Reply to: Re: Panther hybrids posted by StevetheVeiled on April 18, 2003 at 18:04:45:

The right term should be "crossed locale" as they are not true hybrids. A hybrid is a cross between two different species and all panthers are the same species. Each locale has different coloration and thus a baby from parents of different locales should be called a crossed-locale panther. The term hybrid is just easier to use but very inaccurate.
As far as purposely crossing the locales, it is something that most breeders will not recommend due to the fact that you lose the "typical" look of the specific locality. I will not do it purposely (meaning that I have full knowledge that male and female are of different locales) since it is always good to attempt getting a little copy of the father. If you want to breed panthers just for the colors and have no interest in keeping the locales pure then you can go ahead since crossed-locale panthers tend to be very colorful.
Each locale is very consistent as far as their coloration and pattern which suggests that there is some way that they keep pure in nature. The limits of the locales might have some degree of crossing but it has not been proven.
Someone else posted that ambilobe could be a crossed locale just because of the vast array of colors. Well, even though I doubt it, it can't be ruled out. I doubt it just because there has been a lot of color variations imported from Ambilobe yet when the animals come in, they are pretty consistent in what they look like as far as fitting a pattern. Ambilobe is sandwiched between "Diego Suarez" and Ambanja but is a big area that yields too much variation for the animals to be crossed locale (but this is again my opinion). In the case of crossed locale animals, you rarely find 2 that look alike to the degree that WC animals do.
This is my opinion based on years dealing with chameleons both on the hobby level and the medicine level. There is no right or wrong answer as far as breeding different panther locales so it is up to you to decide what your goals are.

Best wishes,
Ivan

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]