kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Panther hybrids

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by StevetheVeiled on April 18, 2003 at 18:04:45:

In Reply to: Panther hybrids posted by GregW on April 18, 2003 at 17:18:00:

this is a debate i'm currently having with a few people and it's a subject where people are somewhat divided. i would say that most people would want to keep the morphs separate and 'pure'. that makes total sense, but that doesn't discount the possibility of a nice hybrid panther. some people are doing it and i'm considering it - when i'm ready to breed. my personal viewpoint is that cross breeding has/is occuring to some extend in the wild, as the locales are close in some instances, as you mentioned (anything could happen to introduce one into another area/region). i think it's hard to say whether the 'ambilobe', for instance, with it's wide array of colors, is a 'pure' morph - maybe it is. i think one of the reasons i have such an interest in panthers now, is the fact that there are a number of unknowns about the different locales/morphs. i can understand how a nosy be, coming from an island, has stayed consistent over time, but i don't think that can be said, with absolute certainty, about panthers from the mainland of madagascar. as for the hybrids, i have been told that certain panthers should not be bred together, as the eggs will not develop properly and will not hatch. the specific panthers that shouldn't breed was not known, but that is one aspect i'm looking into. it's hard to find a lot of this information, unless you know the right people to ask. i used to be into pythons, and hybrids are somewhat common and some very interesting/beautiful results have come about. when i became interested in panthers, the same idea crossed my mind.

check out the following article on panthers. one sections deals with how some panthers are mistakenly labeled as something by the exporters (say, a female Ambanja) and the young are sold, down the line, as something they are not - like a Nosy Be.

http://www.amazingbluereptiles.com/what_you_should_know.htm

:I don’t remember seeing any mention of panther hybrids. Is it considered taboo to cross two different morphs? Wouldn’t it happen in the wild where territories overlap or are different morphs really that isolated from one another?

:Greg
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]