kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Reptariums okay

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by fryguy28 on April 11, 2003 at 20:56:03:

In Reply to: Reptariums okay posted by HerperBoy on April 11, 2003 at 20:10:27:

Reptariums are garbage. They're too dark. Not enough UVB passes through. The zippers fray the fabric, and crickets can chew them up and escape. I would also not recommend housing Veiled Chameleons together. As they mature sexually, they are solitare creatures in the wild. Only if you had an enclosure of immense size would I suggest housing them together. Have you found any literature on the species you intend to keep? If you haven't yet, I would suggest a couple of books. Care and Breeding of Chameleons, by Phillipe de Vosjoli and Gary Ferguson and Essential Care of Chameleons by de Vosjoli as well. A little bit dated but very sound advice for keeping Chameleons. Also do a search on the internet for Chameleon refernces. Back to the cages, the bigger the better. Most would recommend 4x2x2 for an adult male and slightly smaller for the female. You'll also find that alot of people have wasted valuable money on reptariums. Advertising is an amazing thing, huh? Do alot of reseach before you buy. You'll be better off and so will your animals! Good luck!

Jay

:Would a 65 gallon reptarium be suitable for a pair of Veileds. If not is it okay for one. This wiil be my first cham. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]