kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I wanna get a reptile!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Beginner Lizard Forum ]

Posted by K1LOS on December 06, 2002 at 00:40:32:

In Reply to: I wanna get a reptile! posted by digi on December 05, 2002 at 16:52:01:

Well Digi, i would definately rule out a tortoise. Not because i have a turtle, but because they require far more space then you have to give, and will generate alot more expense then you have to offer.

The leopard gecko is my personal recommedation digi. I wasn't aware of the mealworm idea, but with that new information, i give my seal of approval 8) . Plus you can getem for ~$40-80, and are frequently recommended for herp newbs.

You can buy mealworms in a pretty descent quantity, and keep them in a margarine style container. However, i do understand that when they get bigger, a few pinky mice would be appretiated. You said your tank was a 20 gallon right? that should be plenty for a leopard gecko, they get to about 6inches i think, is that right?

You are gonna wanna make sure that under tank heater is up and working, and you'd also likely want to get a heat rock ( a fake rock that you plug in and it generates heat for them to bask on). I am not sure of their lighting requriements, do they need UVB? You will need a shallow water dish, but that will be easy enough to come by. What would you use for substrate? There are a few options i've heard of, newspaper ( dunno how healthy that is, and looks pretty crappy), wood chips ( be careful, there is one type of wood that you aren't supposed to use for this), and mulch ( is this to moist?). Having a substrate will make cleaning more of a messy job, but you'd likely need it for insulation from the under tank heater. Anyways dude, there is a start of what you need to look into. Check all that stuff out, and keep checkin here for any problems you have. These forums helped me out when i had questions bout my turt.

ttyl, gimme a call

K!LOS

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Beginner Lizard Forum ]