kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Leopard geckos

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Beginner Lizard Forum ]

Posted by jobwelldonejb on December 09, 2002 at 16:04:40:

In Reply to: Re: I wanna get a reptile! posted by K1LOS on December 06, 2002 at 00:40:32:

I also suggest leopard geckos, for a starting reptile they reach a svl (snout vent length = total length), of 8".

One of the best size enclosures for a leopard gecko, is a 10 gallon all glass aquarium, with a tight fitting screen lid.

Since, your tank is a 20 gallon you can easily fit 2 adult leopard geckos. Make sure when you buy your lizards, that they have already been sexed.

The reason being is to make sure, you won't get two males to male leopard geckos will fight till one or both are died, so I would get two females or one male and one female.

If you decide to get a, pair (male and female) be sure to be ready for eggs, because leopard geckos are very easy to breed, and once they reach sexual maturity (8") they will try to breed.

If you do decide still to get a pair, i suggest you buy a Hovabotor Incubator they are available at www.herpsupplies.com, for $50.00 (including shipping).

Now, depending on if you get a baby, hatchling, subadult, or adult there are several choices on what substrate to you. For a baby - hatching I highly suggest you keep them on a substrate of paper towel. The reason being is because leopard geckos,look to their substrate for calcium and tend to eat their substrate in hopes of getting calcium (so calci-sand and repti-sand are out), because those two substrates are calcium based, and are larger then regular sand so there is a greater risk of development of impaction.

So keep baby - hatchling leopard geckos, on straight papertowel till the reach adult size of 8".

After, your gecko reaches its adult size of 8" you can then move him/she/them onto playsand (i suggest playsand because the granuals are alot smaller then the reptile bedding.

Now for lighting being noctornal, they require apsolutely no uvb lighting. All that is needed for heat is a standard under tank heater (T-Rex Heat Mats are the best) and either a genaric light bulb, or a special reptile bulb I suggest the reptile bulbs, because they don't admit any yellow light which is useless to the geckos, the reptile bulbs have filters inplace to block out that light.

Now lastly leopard geckos are strictly insectivoirus, so they will only each insects.

You can order mealworms and crickets, and have them shipped to your door, but I don't think that will work very good since, your in a dorm.

Well I hope you find a reptile.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Beginner Lizard Forum ]