kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Calcium Supplement Question!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by azteclizard on May 11, 2003 at 11:33:02:

In Reply to: Calcium Supplement Question!!!!! posted by LindsayMarie on May 11, 2003 at 10:43:40:

It is complete BS. The claims are not based on any real science. If they are I would like to the research. Calcium carbonate and calcium citrate are the most common forms of calcium found in human supplements. Carbonate has the most elemental calcium (about 40%). In studies,Citrate has been proven to be absobed better, but when taken with a meal calcium carbonate absorbs just as well. Since we dust our food items, I think it is a great for of calcium for reps. One thing I can warn you about is the high d3 levels in rep cal. Unless they changed there formulation, it is like 400,000 I.U. per kilo, which is quite high. Miner-all I has 4400 I.U. per kilo, which is a much safer level. I have never heard of any cases, but if you overuse rep-cal you could run a risk of d3 toxicity. I'm not saying don't use it, just to be careful. You could mix it with the rep-cal without d3 to bring the levels down. Anyway, I don't want to rant, I would say save your money and keep using what you using.
-Bill
:I was looking at the classifieds and decided to read a absolute calcium ad. It states that reptiles are unable to use the calcium carbonate. Is this true? I use Rep Cal Calcium, should I be using something different? I assumed my dragons were "using" it as it is marketed for reptiles!! Is the ads statements just a advertising technique or is it true? On the site I went to it says that they only are able to use about 30-40% of most calcium supplements with calcium carbonate at the bottom. Im lost now! I guess I didnt do enough research on this! I didnt think I really had to as I thought I was using what I should be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, LM

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]