kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

P.S.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by azteclizard on May 11, 2003 at 13:34:55:

In Reply to: P.S. posted by Christyj on May 11, 2003 at 12:53:44:

I don't wish to argue this with you. I don't doubt that it works, I have doubts about the claims. Most of what we know about reptile nutrition comes from what we know about mammalian and avian nutrition. Do you think the makers of absolute calcium are basing there claims on research of the product on reptiles? I have trouble with this comment in the FAQ's.

"Q: How does ABSOLUTE Calcium work?

A: The silica in the plants used converts to calcium making assimilation superior to any other source."

Silica is a pure element, it can not and will never "convert" to calcium.

Does the label list the ingedients? I'm curious as to what's in it.

-Bill

:I've been using AbsoluteCalcium as long as I've been using Parazap (about 2 yrs)..If the claims weren't solid, all 6 of my dragons would surely have MBD by now.

:

::Claiming that is complete BS is BS! The studies that have been done are on humans. So claiming that it is BS isn't founded either. It's nothing more then your opinion. Bearded dragons have a totally different way of digesting then humans. Calcium carbonate must be taken w/food in order to work and assisted by stomach acids. If I'm not mistaken, bearded dragons digest their food with bacterias moreso then acids.
::In simple terms, could a rock or shell source better be digested/absorbed or a plant source? It's a no brainer to me.
::Ya know, when Parazap first came out val took alot of BS and negativity from people, they are all eating crow now.
::He's been into herbs for 30 yrs. or more and there is no doubt in my mind that he has evidence that his calcium does what it says.

::

:::It is complete BS. The claims are not based on any real science. If they are I would like to the research. Calcium carbonate and calcium citrate are the most common forms of calcium found in human supplements. Carbonate has the most elemental calcium (about 40%). In studies,Citrate has been proven to be absobed better, but when taken with a meal calcium carbonate absorbs just as well. Since we dust our food items, I think it is a great for of calcium for reps. One thing I can warn you about is the high d3 levels in rep cal. Unless they changed there formulation, it is like 400,000 I.U. per kilo, which is quite high. Miner-all I has 4400 I.U. per kilo, which is a much safer level. I have never heard of any cases, but if you overuse rep-cal you could run a risk of d3 toxicity. I'm not saying don't use it, just to be careful. You could mix it with the rep-cal without d3 to bring the levels down. Anyway, I don't want to rant, I would say save your money and keep using what you using.
:::-Bill
::::I was looking at the classifieds and decided to read a absolute calcium ad. It states that reptiles are unable to use the calcium carbonate. Is this true? I use Rep Cal Calcium, should I be using something different? I assumed my dragons were "using" it as it is marketed for reptiles!! Is the ads statements just a advertising technique or is it true? On the site I went to it says that they only are able to use about 30-40% of most calcium supplements with calcium carbonate at the bottom. Im lost now! I guess I didnt do enough research on this! I didnt think I really had to as I thought I was using what I should be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, LM

:::
:::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]