kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Production

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]

Posted by Randy Remington on May 12, 2003 at 11:08:24:

In Reply to: Just to play devils advocate posted by pmpimbura on May 12, 2003 at 09:52:31:

I see the high initial prices as the fuel that drives the engine to get the new morphs widely produced. The initial breeders of a new morph are breeding for the 2nd level breeder’s breeding stock and so on but eventually (a long time with ball pythons) all of these morphs should become premium pet store animals. I believe that the higher the initial price, the quicker large numbers will be produced. Sure chance and the growth and breeding characteristics of the line factor in but all other things being the same I think more of the best people are working harder to produce the most expensive morphs.

If Peter Kahl had priced the first piebalds at 1/10 of what he did I don't think as many of the possible het males would have been breed nor would the het males have been breed to as many normals. I doubt it was his goal to produce affordable piebalds for the general public but I think he put a little extra incentive (not that much was needed as nice as the pieds look) that inadvertently resulted in extreme out breeding and I think an acceleration in the number of piebalds that will be produced.

People don’t stay up late at night trying to figure out how to work harder and produce more unless there is an incentive, the bigger the incentive, the harder and smarter they work.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]