kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: it started like this...long post

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Spike's mom on February 12, 2002 at 23:15:23:

In Reply to: it started like this... posted by Niki and Teddy on February 10, 2002 at 17:46:26:

My Spike is about 11 inches long and 8 1/2 inches long. I don't have an accurate scale, but I believe his weight to be between 8 and 10 pounds. I think that maybe he needs to be a bit heavier. I'm sure he'd eat all day given the opportunity, but I don't want him to gain to fast.
He is the most non-picky eater! Seems to love everything offered. Especially if it's dark, leafy and green! (diet research is something I've been doing quite a bit of, but I'm open for suggestions from others!) Every morning I give him a few leaves of Kale, Collard Greens, and/or Romaine. And then I alternate adding different combinations of chopped carrots (half cup or so), chopped zucchini, apple, grapes, or banana. (if I don't have fresh fruits available I give him "Tetra Terrafauna Iguana, Land Turtle, Tortoise food")
When we have dinner, I give him some more Dark Leafys, and some of whatever vegetable we're having for dinner. (thawed but not cooked)
I also give him a treat of Timothy or Alfalfa (Two handfuls, once or twice a week)
I sprinkle Bone-aid (by T-Rex) Calcium Powder and Reptivite (Zoo Med) on his food in the morning. From what I've been reading, I believe I should be giving him a vitamin with no phosphorus though, and the Reptivite has phosphorus in it. I have used it sparingly. I don't think his previous owner dusted with vitamins at all. She gave me everything she had for him, and there were no vitamins.
He was living in a galvanized square rabbit cage with a pull out tray lined with cob bedding. It wasn't very high, and in order to get him through the door, I had to pull out the tray with him on it! She did have a very nice UV Reptile light and a heat lamp.
When I got him home, I put him on the lawn (as it was September and still warm where I live) and he grazed like he'd never seen grass before! He also took care of a small grove of dandelions!
He now lives in a huge terrarium, that has a half screen, half glass top. I know it's not perfect for him, but it's the best I can do until I can afford to build something bigger....like a greenhouse! He's still at what I consider to be a manageable size to keep indoors, and in the summer he will get to spend leisure time grazing in the yard while I weed the flowerbeds. We plan on growing him some nasturtiums for a seasonal treat!
He has pyramid scutes, mild compared to some of the pictures I've seen. I have some digital pictures that I plan on posting as soon as I get the proper thing (can't remember what husband said we needed!) to transfer them from camera to computer!

Thanks to all that took the time to read my huge post. Constructive feedback welcomed!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]