kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Hold on

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on April 11, 2001 at 22:17:04:

In Reply to: Re: Hold on posted by Justn123 on April 11, 2001 at 20:40:43:

You know very little about me or which species I keep.
How many tortoises or turtles I've rehabed and rehomed, which species I currently have.
For your information I am concentrating on Russian Tortoises. Over collected in huge numbers.Captive bred Russians will hopefuly at some point take the strain off the wild populations.
I have decided not to breed my sulcatas as the market is already flooded with hatchlings. Although it's now ilegal to import them , many breeders have been very succesful with this prolific species. But enough is enough.

Nor do you know how I have contributed to the conservation of species at the brink of extiction.
I may not keep them personally but there are other ways of contributing.

I doubt people are afraid to post fearing my reply!
I either agree with them or I don't. And I certainly don't expect everyone to always agree with me.
Either way I would not resort to name calling or suggest they were stupid.
Neither would I suggest that somebody who made a simple mistake, and corrected it. Keep Beanie Babies instead of tortoises.

I'm not afraid to mention my mistakes, if that makes me dumb, stupid or a total idiot in your opinion, so be it.I don't pretend to be an expert, I'm not. I give advise, recommend web sites and yes even books! The same advise that helped me when I first found this forum.

You'd be suprised how many here purchased their first tortoise before researching. Using books or other sources. Are all of us that did just that, "stupid"?

None of my tortoises or turtles have died on the way home from the store, or during shipping.
Of the 39 I have lost two.
One a gravely ill, recently imported Russian. And one C. galbinifrons, also a recent (smuggled)import.

The vets here tried everything, but both were too ill to save.

I sent my remaining C. galbinifrons,( some long term captives of over 8 years) to the mainland in order to save them.

It's ilegal now to import them into Hawaii,( I petitioned the Hawaii Board of Agriculture to import males ) and as only one of my six was a male I knew they'd be better off in a larger breeding program.

Not only that, but the vets here were at a loss when it came to that species.
I spent thousands and consulted with the best vets on the mainland.I finaly decided that in the best interest of the turtles and the species, they be sent to an excellent breeding program.

I have not in my posts suggested that research is not important. Nor that books aren't a useful tool, certainly SOME books are.

However to put somebody down for not doing the research first, helps nobody.

Especially the tortoise in question.

You might have a larger dream than most ( in your opinion) when it comes to tortoises.
Does that mean that those who only keep one, or who have decided not to breed ( too many sulcatas available already, why add to the huge number )are somehow beneath you.
That the care of their tortoise matters less, or that they deserve little in the way of respect.

I know everyone is sick of this so that's it from me on the subject.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]