kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sulcata baby is eating my homegrown grasses/ Hoku update.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on December 18, 2000 at 17:18:46:

In Reply to: Sulcata baby is eating my homegrown grasses posted by Lisa on December 18, 2000 at 16:35:56:

Hi Lisa,
while grasses etc and grazing are the best diet a sulcata could be on I still recommend feeding greens, especially to small sulcatas.
They do need a bit more than just grass and the wetter foods ( leafy greens)will help ensure the tortoise doesn't become constipated.
Variety is the key, with my sulcata Endive and Romaine are favorites.Dandelions and clover are great foods so are hibiscus flowers and you can add in other leafy greens amnd mix in the grass.

Hoku the sick little sulcata I took in on Friday seems to be slowly improving.
I took him to a new vet one recommended by the Honolulu Zoo.
Dr Fujitani is amazing, what a nice lady.
Hoku is on a course of Baytril, on Saturday he had his first shot. He also got vit D and fluids.

During his first shots on Saturday, he didn't even open his eyes.
I've been soaking him twice daily and offering food twice a day, after his soaks.The first two days he couldn't open his eyes until he was soaked and I dripped water on his eyes.This morning he opened them before his soak and was out and about sniffing for food!
I put out little piles of finely chopped Endive, Romaine, Green leaf lettuce, mulberry leaves, clover, opuntia, hibiscus.He goes from one pile to the other, like a buffet.
He's been nibbling and today passed stools in his soak :)

He had another shot of Baytril today and more vit D.This time his eyes were open and he trotted all over the table at the vets.
He's back home now, crashed in a corner of his Rubbermaid.
The vet I'm seeing is amazing and so far has only cost me $38.

So I'm hoping little Hoku will continue to improve.

I've found after Baytril shots they pretty much sleep the day away, so I'm hoping he'll be active tomorrow.

I take him out every afternoon for a few minutes, first day he only lasted 5 minutes, yesterday 15 :)

So he's in with a chance

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]