kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Started introducing male and female crested.....any tips?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Gecko2525 on November 12, 2002 at 23:13:19:

Sorry this is so LONG!!! :)

Okay here is what I am doing now. I have had both my cresteds for about 3 months. I quaranteed them both and have had no problems (exam, etc.). For the last month I had been taking them out together with my sister helping. They normally just ignore each other. My female is 8 months and my male is 9 months. I don't want to breed them now, but I will when she is a year old. I figured I should introduce them slowly every once and a while. Today we had them out and my female was eating crickets off my floor and very relaxed. Drako my male just sat there staring and sometimes jumps on her head (no problems).
Now, I had Drako on my arm and she ran in front of him, further up my arm. Drako, as always, licked her. Here is the TWIST. First he licked her leg then "bang" bites her right on the leg. Me of course do the 'stupid thing' and FREAK out!! As I was freaking my female started a low sqeak (painful) as Drako still was biting (I think because I was moving Drako bit harder) and of course I freak out EVEN MORE. I think he wasn't biting her very hard at first because she didn't move or anything when he bit her. Just me!! My sister was calm, but this wasn't happening on her arm and there not her geckos. I was worried for their safety. Soon Drako let go and tried biting my arm (didn't actually bite me). I figure I just scared him, not his fault. After I calmed down and realized she wasn't hurt, I got thinking.....
I know they kind of bite each other when mating but does this certain action mean he wants to mate? Have her submit? or that he doesn't like her. He has never shown any aggression before to her or me so I would imagine he likes her. Starts biting down low and then works his way up to he neck. :)
I don't want them to mate now, but I just don't want to stick them in together when I do want them to mate.
I hope they won't do this all the time when I put them together. I don't want to worry. Plus I hope I didn't ruin things between them! :(
ANY TIPS????? Please

Thanks for read this long explaination.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]