kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

"Even with my boomers..." ????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by WW on November 13, 2002 at 03:19:51:

In Reply to: Re: No myth here. More>>> posted by Chance on November 12, 2002 at 09:22:01:

: Even with my boomers I wear a thick coat and heavy workman's leather gloves.

That phrase suggests that you profoundly underestimate the potential of Dispholidus. Make no mistake, they can kill you, and they don't have to chew long to do so! Forget the label that says "colubrid". These are large, fast-moving, highly venomous snakes, often lethally so, and they need to be treated with the same respect you would accord to an elapid of the same size and agility - can you say mamba?

The difference is that Dispholius antivenom is hard to come by, and in its absence, the medics in your local ER can do a lot less about the blood pouring out of your knackered capillaries into your every vital organ than they could do about respiratory failure from a coral snake or mamba neurotoxin.

DON'T underestimate these snakes. Don't get me wrong, I am not judging your abilities, you may well be a competent and careful handler yourself, but the way in which you discuss boomslangs gives the idea that these are just some second-rate hot. They are most emphatically NOT!

Cheers,

Wolfgang

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]