kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Travis and rob were collecting Tx corns . . .>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by terryp on May 14, 2003 at 08:27:56:

In Reply to: posted by on May 14, 2003 at 01:37:39:

a few years ago to send to Dr. Vaughan at Texas A & M for bloodwork, etc. Rob said the ones he collected had nasty temperaments. Rob said it was nastier than Texas rat snakes. Travis will not like me bringing Texas rat snakes up and their temperament since they get a bad rap as he says. I live in California and I have 4 w/c Texas rat snakes. Three females and 1 male. Two of the females are nice so far. The one old female is a tough "ole gal". She doesn't like anybody. Actually, she's been beat up by farmers over the years and she's been a project to calm her down. The male acts up until you pick him up and then he's nice. Overall, my black rat snakes are nastier than the Texas rat snakes. Besides, forget about them biting, they are the mukiest (don't know if that's a word) snakes in the world. They don't hesitate to musk you either. Did you handle the Texas corn Chris? I was curious if it might have had a bad temperamnet like rob had conveyed on the ones a couple years ago. Thanks for sharing a pic of the corn and info. That is a big corn.

:Just thought I would post a pic of the big TX corn I found tonight. When I saw it on the road up ahead I thought it was a Texas Rat, but it looked too heavy bodied!

:I have caught a few large corns in the east (SC, GA, FL) but they never hold a candle to the big bruisers we get around here. This big boy measured 56 inches (using Serpwidgets Snake Measurer Program) and weighed in at 1160 grams.

:Just in case you think, "yeah, I've seen stout corns like that" remember - this is a wild caught snake photographed the night it was found! For comparison, I found a large female corn in SC once that weighed 660 grams and she was a big corn snake.

:I wish I weighed the one I found around here in the early 80s that measured 67 inches. That was a monster!
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]