kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Travis has two clutches from his 2 female . .>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by terryp on May 14, 2003 at 14:30:46:

In Reply to: Travis and rob were collecting Tx corns . . .> posted by chrish on May 14, 2003 at 12:51:07:

Tx corns the he and Rob collected and kept the year they were collecting them and sending to Texas A & M. He did a post a couple days ago about the eggs and quantity. I remember both of them saying they only seem to see adults. Rob did collect a juvenile one year, but that seemed to be it. No juveniles or subadults. They did see a couple subadult DOR. Thanks for the info Chris. I think of what Travis and Rob said about the Tx corns when I read or hear someone say how docile corns are. Good luck

:I have probably handled as many TX corns and TX rats as most people. In general, you can pick up a TX Rat off the road and carefully take it over to the side of the road and release it without getting bitten. Hard to do with a TX Corn!

:I have caught Black Rats, Gray Rats, Yellow Rats, Greenish Rats, TX Rats, and Everglades Rats. In general, I think there is more variation in temperament within the subspecies than between them. Some of the most docile adult wild rats I have seen were large Black Rats and Gray Rats.

:Not only that, TX Rats seem to bite in a rather defensive way. Often they coil up and threaten with their mouths open, but don't actually strike out. The big corns around here suddenly lunge and draw blood. They are just plain mean!

:Actually, I currently have a yearling female corn that I found last week and she is pretty much like any wc corn of her size - a little defensive when in a coil, but handleable once picked up. She doesn't struggle much and is quite a nice little snake. Small corns are very uncommon around here. You generally only find them over 3 feet and once they get that size they tend to be spirited! Maybe it's all the big rats they have to overpower to feed their substantial mass!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]