kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Love at first sight...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]

Posted by Chance on October 07, 2002 at 14:25:13:

In Reply to: Love at first sight... posted by coffeeman on October 07, 2002 at 12:13:32:

:I'm still a few years away from owning hots, and even a few more away from owning elapids, but I still want to know if this is typical of mozambiques, or spitters in general?

Most likely this cobra has just been very numbed to human contact. I have a monocled cobra that is a venomoid (though she certainly wasn't supposed to be) that has the most awesome temperament. However, my other two intact monocleds are nightmares. My two baby blacknecked spitters are both in tact and rather docile, however they are very flighty and will get hissy and hood sometimes, and could certainly do some damage. My little black and white spitter is probably one of my more dangerous cobras, as he's very quick to hood and lunge. I've never handled mozambiques myself, but from what I've heard and just seeing cobras and getting a general idea about them, their temperaments all vary so widely that you can't make generalizations. It would be dangerously foolish for you or anyone to assume that all Mozambiques are docile from your experiences with that one venomoid. Though I'm sure you wouldn't get an intact snake and handle it like you do that venomoid. From what I've noticed, venomoid snakes seem to almost know that they are defenseless (elapids anyway) and therefore don't really try much of anything. My monocled will sometimes hiss and hood, but she never strikes. Just whatever you do, don't become complacent.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]