kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Love at first sight...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]

Posted by Chance on October 07, 2002 at 22:04:39:

In Reply to: Re: Love at first sight... posted by coffeeman on October 07, 2002 at 18:24:04:

:They have several other cobras where I was at, and they mostly have bad temperment, and I am sure that this mozambique is used to being handled.

Yeah, I wouldn't really class cobras as being in general nasty animals. They certainly can be quick to be defensive though. However, if you watch them very closely, most of those lunges are done with a closed mouth. Well, so I've noticed anyway. My little black and white spitter will sometimes come at my hand on the other side of the glass with an open mouth. My big intact monocled is all bluff though. But boy is he/she an impressive beast nonetheless! I really can see how you can come to love these animals. When I got in my big female monocled that turned out to be a venomoid and in very bad shape, my heart just went out to her. On top of that, she has the best temperament of any cobra I've ever seen. So naturally I fell in love with her. Now she's a thriving eating machine, and after going through a shed she is starting to look a lot nicer. In my humble opinion, these are some of the most magnificent animals out there, and for snakes, are certainly some of the most intelligent.

:I certainly wouldn't handle a hot snake the same way as that snake, and normally I wouldn't have handled even a veonmoid the way i did, but I was in a situation where the keeper was there, the surgeon is arguably one of the best there is, and the snake was verified to be "cold".

I can understand your apprehension. When I took my big female to the vet to get her some meds and have him do an overall checkup, he and I both checked to be sure she couldn't produce any venom. After really chewing on a glass and shredding the rubber top, and after seeing her chew on some live baby rats and have no affect other than hurting them, I'm convinced she's definitely altered. That's not to say that it can't ever grow back... so who knows. She now eagerly accepts pre-killed medium rats, no matter what container she's in. I wish I could say the same of the other big monocled. It gets a bit too on edge when removed from it's enclosure to eat anywhere but there.

:In anouther.... oh maybe 10 years... I'll be ready for a monacled. I really love albino monacles, and the young one you have pics of is truely a fine specimen!

Zeus is a little beauty isn't he? He has a slight tail kink, and it's located dangerously close to his cloaca, so I can only hope it never affects his breeding ability. It certainly doesn't affect him any other way, as he just slams food, is good and plump, can pass it easily, and can move around and hood with the best of them. Any time you want to ask me about any of my personal experiences with these guys shoot me an e-mail. I'd be happy to answer any questions to the best of my abilities.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]