kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Monacleds are one of the most intelligent?????...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]

Posted by Chance on October 08, 2002 at 10:06:38:

In Reply to: Monacleds are one of the most intelligent?????... posted by Jeremy G on October 08, 2002 at 06:53:08:

:In my experince, Monacleds, though awesome, are by far the dumbest Naja. They are slow, uncordinated with their strikes, cumbersome and sometimes I wonder how they even survive in the wild! I love my female to death, dont get me wrong. She rules but she is still very low on the IQ scale compared to other Naja I have witnessed. N.melanoluca is by far the most inteligent acting sp of Naja I have ever seen, with some of the Egyptians comeing in second. Also, comparitively speaking, my Blk necks are much more cunning in their movements then the brown bundleing wonder kaouthia. He!!, even my Cantils, Coral Cobras and big female T.purp act more inteligent then her!(ok, the Coral Cobra thing was alittle too far. They are the real gumps!) BTW, she isnt retared or anything, just your typical N.kaouthia.

Ok ok ok, so I can see where you can get the idea that kaouthia are on the slower side. I've never worked around melanoleuca before, but from what I hear they are truly awesome. I will recognize that no kaouthia can even approach the seeming intelligence of my boomers or my little East African green mamba. The spitters (siamensis and nigricollis, and the sumatrana I used to have) I have don't seem to be very high up on the intelligence scale, though I've only had the nigricollis a short time now and will see how they turn out (btw, I'm very excited to see just how huge they can get). Oh, and before I forget, your little Nancy (I think that's what I remember you calling her) is a little doll.

:P.S I give ya props on turning around the bad shape venomoid. Good job!

Why thankee. I'll post pics of her on here sometime, though you can see her on the pictures part of the webpage. She'll eat md rats like they're going out of style, and I usually feed her one every week, though I think I might need to up that as she passes it very quickly and doesn't seem to be putting on much weight from them. I'll give her a few more weeks or couple of months or so though before I do that, as she may have just arrived in such bad shape that she needs a lot to build herself back up. She gets along very well with that other big monocled (they stay curled up together under one hide all the time), so maybe that other big guy will actually turn out to be a boy and I'll have little baby monocleds next spring :)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]