kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

hybernation for baja herps

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chuckwalla Forum ]

Posted by petereg on January 30, 2003 at 07:10:11:

Hi, I saw the postings of Toms "Terrible winter", very sad. I am keeping some S.hispidus and Petrosaurus repens and thalassinus and I really think that temperutures under 55°F (or 13°C) are very dangerous for them, longer then 1 week! Tom also wrote at his posting: http://forum.kingsnake.com/chuckwalla/messages/6698.html that he had some problems with digesting of his varius, too. Could this be reason for the losts ?
I lost 3 hispidus a few years ago, because I put them into hybernation, after 4 weeks with no food and normal themps and a spot with 100F for warming up. After 2 month of hybernation at 60°F (15°C) and slowly warming up, three died. Only the 3 older hispidus (older then 5 years) died, 4 other in the same cage (2 Years old) under the same conditions are still in perfect healt.
I am sure that older hispidus and maybe varius too, need a longer time for digest! After dissection we found indigested food, the reason for their death.
This winter I put them into hybernation after 6 weeks. Every week I bath them in warm water (35°C or 95°F) for a few minutes. First they didnt like it very much but they always poop alot during bathing and I think its also important to fill up their "tanks" to get not dehydrated during hybernation. I never saw them drinking. Humidity during hybernation is also very important for them, it never drops under 80% in their sleeping caves. I dont mist the cage, only the plants increase humidity after I pour them. I found a study of a german herpetologist and he wrote that in the morning around the islands of Baja there is a lot of fog during the winter month and the tempertures can grow up to 75°F (24°C) at daytime/shade. Only the nights are colder.
I never was in Baja or the Islands of baja.
Did anybody now some day or night themeratures / humidity for this area ?
I know started to wake them up slowly after 2 month of sleeping and I hope all of my hispidus will survive.
bye, peter

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chuckwalla Forum ]